Why Band Matters – Readers’ Collaborative Post
In our recent survey, we asked Band Directors Talk Shop readers to summarize “Why band matters in 20 words or less.” With hundreds of responses to the survey, we came up with this categorized list of your answers of why band matters! Thanks so much to all of our readers who took time to fill out the survey. Keep an eye out for more Readers’ Collaborative Posts in the future!
- Band gives kids a place to belong.
- Band is a family – a lot of students don’t have a support system in my district and this helps them “belong” to something.
- Band is a home to many kids who don’t feel accepted elsewhere.
- Band provides community and a place where kids can feel confident and safe.
- It gives kids a sense of belonging especially if they don’t have their own family.
- It’s a home for my kids.
- It’s teamwork, ownership, and talent all rolled into the surname of FAMILY.
- Band matters because you build friendships and skills to carry you though life – wherever it takes you.
- Kids, especially middle school kids, need to be a part of something bigger than themselves.
Creativity & Expression
- Band enhances creative thinking and is an enriching creative outlet.
- Band gives us the chance to create beauty, elicit emotion, create that work of art through music.
- It allows expression without words.
- It teaches skills not reached in other content areas. Artistic expression is something our society is in desperate need of … and fosters creative thought and growth.
- Band helps create a family of musicians while helping students learn to cope with life through creating art.
- Because it allows us to teach love, joy, and humanity to the next generation.
- It gives students an outlet to be creative and be involved in something other than athletics. It improves brain synapses.
- We teach excellence in all things by achieving excellence in small things.
- Band allows students a chance to practice emotions, fine motor skills, discipline, rigor, and persistence.
- Band is a safe place where all students can develop discipline, teamwork and the love of making music together.
- Band is collaborative! It teaches patience, persistence, and responsibility.
- In a world of instant gratification, it teaches students how to handle failure and keep on going.
- It teaches all the skills needed to succeed in life.
- It teaches life long skills and builds life long relationships.
- It’s a place to belong that insists on respect, perseverance, forgiveness, compassion, and positive outlook.
- Students get to learn skills needed in today’s workplace: critical thinking, teamwork, leadership and social skills.
- Students in band learn so much more than music (which is proven to impact brain power!). They learn self discipline, team skills, goal setting, and work ethic.
- Teaches focused concentration, grit, cooperation and shared responsibility; gives an emotional outlet.
- Band is not only good for the brain, but a student’s first apprenticeship opportunity.
- Band matters because it gives students balance at school where importance is placed so heavily on academic performance.
- Band matters to balance our education. It incorporates science, math and physical activity.
- Band matters because it becomes the reason why some students strive to do well in school so they can participate in the things they love.
- Not every student experiences success in the academic classroom. Band is a great way for students to experience success.
- It can be the area that shines for non academic students and enriches the lives of everyone.
- Band also serves all, whether it is a student who does it all (3 sports, NHS, choir, drama, band, etc.) or someone who loves music and just music.
- Band is an activity that involves all students at all levels of interest and ability.
- Band matters because every kids plays and contributes to the team. Every kid is engaged and participating and can enjoy the final product.
- Band teaches students to work together in an environment where everyone is important all the time.
- Because kids need positive role models in an atmosphere where kids learn how to respectfully work together towards a goal that is bigger than themselves.
- Biggest group project the students do all year. Results and process to take pride in.
- It’s a team where everyone wins and no one is ever on the bench.
- It’s team building, problem-solving, skill building hard work that is immensely rewarding.
- Students become part of a group and learn to think beyond themselves.
- Working together to achieve a common goal with students who may have little in common.
- Band is an important outlet for students to be a part of team, and express themselves musically.
The Whole Child
- Music helps educate the whole child, and improves brain function.
- Band teaches skills not necessary taught in the academic classroom and fosters community building in unlikely places.
- Band provides so many important attributes for students to have a well-rounded education. From discipline, structure to social interaction and needed in the real world.
- Band addresses the social, emotional, and musical needs of students around the world.
- Band develops students into better humans – socially and emotionally as well as making their brains better!
- Band is a safe place for all, a creative outlet and a challenge.
- Increases cognitive reasoning, enhances collaborative works, gives emotional outlet and offers creative thinking.
- It is a comprehensive education that improves the IQ, creativity, leadership and problem solving in multiple areas of study.
- Music is a foundational discipline that aids in the learning of all other subjects.
- We are building a whole child to work collaboratively in their future.
- We teach students how to be better people through music.
- Band gives kids a chance to work with students they don’t see in their other classes, helps them develop confidence, and is the reason that certain children come to school.
Learn. Share. Inspire.