Never heard of Boom Cards? Your band students will love them! Boom Cards are digital, self-checking, interactive, internet-based activities. Students are shown one question at a time and get instant feedback on their answers. BOOM Cards are compatible with Google Classroom, SeeSaw, Canvas, and more. Check out the short video below to see an example of one of our BOOM Card decks, then keep reading to see our top 6 reasons you should get on board with BOOM and try them out.
1. BOOM cards are digital
With BOOM Cards, there is no cutting, printing, grading or prep for the teacher. All students need is an internet connection to play!
BOOM Cards are interactive and students receive instant feedback! Student hear a “ding” and the answer is circled in green if they get it correct. If a student clicks the incorrect answer, they hear a “whoops!” and their response is circled in red. BOOM card decks come in a variety of formats such as multiple choice, audio (ex: ear training), movable pieces, and clickable answer choices.
3. Assign to Google Classroom, Canvas, Seesaw & more!
Students are able to play instantly with the “FastPin” option that is available with the FREE teacher account! You simply create a hyperlink and post into Google Classroom (or whatever platform your school uses). Students don’t have to login to play, they simply click the link you provide and play immediately.
4. Compatible with multiple devices
BOOM Cards can be played on an iPad, laptop, Chrome Book, Kindle Fire, interactive white boards, other devices, or even your phone!
5. Fun to use in the band room
We are most excited about all of the possibilities for using these in the band classroom, not just for music distance learning. Following are some plans we have for BOOM cards when we are back in our band rooms:
- Band Music Theory Warm-ups– project a BOOM deck in the front of the room and have a student leader call on students to give answers. This frees up the teacher to take roll or tend to other classroom issues. The self-checking aspect of the cards are great for this!
- Music Dictation– the audio function of BOOM cards is AWESOME! This frees up the director from having to play or clap rhythms. Pick a student to operate the computer and have the class listen to the rhythms and choose answers.
- Sub Plans- Leave a list of BOOM card links for your sub. The boom decks can be projected on a large screen and the students can answer the questions as a class. No grading for the sub since BOOM cards do the work for you!
- Centers– Yes, you can do centers in band and BOOM cards are great for these!
- Independent work– if you are working with another section, consider having a small group of students work on BOOM cards independently if you have a class set of computers or ipads.
- Homework– if you need quality lessons to send home via Google Classroom during a long break, BOOM cards are your answer!
6. Easy set-up: 5 minutes tops!
Ready to get started but not sure where to begin?
Next, DOWNLOAD THIS HANDOUT for step-by-step instructions.
The process doesn’t take more than 5 minutes!
We hope you are as excited about BOOM cards as we are! Here are some recent BOOM reviews:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐This is awesome! So easy to assign the link to the cards through google classroom. Love that the students don’t have to login to play. Thanks for a great free resource!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Rhythmic dictation is something that we do weekly in class that I hadn’t found a way to replicate in distance learning. These do just that! I posted them as a unit for my students to work through at their own pace. What I find is that many of them choose to work far beyond expectations because they’re enjoying the game side of how these work! Distance learning and differentiated instruction for the win!
If you would like to receive our weekly newsletter, sign up here.
Don’t forget to like us on Facebook too!
Learn. Share. Inspire.