Wouldn’t it be great if you had a comprehensive checklist so you don’t forget one of the many important back-to-school preparations?
This can help! BandDirectorsTalkShop.com has compiled a free Band Director’s Back-to-School Checklist! Keep reading to see the information on the first page of this 4 page checklist.
If you’d like to get the entire Back-To-School Checklist free, you can sign-up for our weekly newsletters HERE! You’ll be emailed a copy of then entire checklist and you’ll get our free weekly newsletter with our latest and greatest articles delivered to your inbox.
- Extra reeds for at least 2 months
- Purchase the following supplies for beginning clarinets. Here is an article explaining how to use the items: 4 Clarinet Hacks- Better Clarinets in 30 Seconds
- Pencil grips for clarinet thumb savers
- Avery brand mini dot labels for labeling clarinet low F and low E keys. This helps with proper hand position.
- Bandaids (check to see if your school nurse will give you a box)
- Mouthpieces patches (purchase for saxophone, too)
- Instrument case tags for students to record name and phone numbers
- Colored paper
- Silver and black sharpies (for labeling student supplies)
- 1 small-med sized roll of electrical tape for beginning percussion class. For information on how to use the tape, see this article: 4 Ways Tape Can Help Your Beginning Percussionists
- Sharpened pencils (Golf pencils work great!)
- Music folders (stuff folders with music before school starts – this is a good job for your band officers)
- Instrument repair kit – see this article for a detailed list: Emergency Instrument Repair Kit (Top Items to Include)
- Printer ink/toner
- Nail polish and blue painters tape/masking tape for flute to encourage proper instrument alignment and hand position. Is this idea new to you? Click on the following article for a quick explanation on how to use this great tip! 4 Flute Hacks to Develop Good Habits
- Instrument Care packets
- Practice Reports (Decide on what type (if any) you plan to use)
- “Meet the Teacher” handouts
- Band handbook and/or attendance policies
- Seating Chart for all band classes. For a FREE, easy to use template, click HERE!
- Prepare warm-up music
- Decide on first couple songs and prepare parts as well as part assignments
- Consider numbering measures before copying if they are not already numbered
- Do some score study so you will be prepared for the first couple of weeks. Once school starts you’ll be too busy!
- Prepare instrument specific music (scale sheets, fingering charts, district band music, etc.)
This is the information on the first page of this 4 page checklist. If you’d like to get the entire Back-To-School Checklist free, you can grab it FREE HERE!
If you would like to receive our weekly newsletter, sign up here.
Don’t forget to like us on Facebook too!
Learn. Share. Inspire.